Friday, January 30, 2009

Allright, Already

As you may know, I have recently been ordained as a Minister. With that ordination has come many more people reading my writings. And, as some of my writings contain words that some believe are offensive, I feel a need to comment.

Words are just words. They neither enlighten nor offend. They only have the meaning we assign to them. It is the user that determines whether a word enlightens or offends, does neither, or both. The same word, when used in a different context can have the exact opposite effect.

When I write stories, the characters tell me what they say and I write those words down. I know that that sounds like a cop out, but that's how it happens for me. Some of my characters sometimes use words that even I find offensive. But that is how that character talks and I feel a need to be true to him/her in the story.

So, to my newly found brothers and sisters who are questioning my faith and calling, please understand that I do not intend to insult or offend you in any way. Feel free to condemn my characters for their blasphemy or whatever, but please remember that they are just words, offered for your entertainment.

"people should have to pay to go to church and theater should be free"

No comments: